Friday, January 13, 2012

Where Do Your Elected Officials Stand? I will tell you where ours does....


Where Do Your Elected Officials Stand?  
I will tell you where ours does.....

On Jan. 5, 2012 I met with Congressman Bill Owens of NY23 district to get his answer on whether he would support a Parental Rights Amendment to the United States Constitution.  As many of you know I have been trying to meet with him for some time.  His answer was without question “I will not support the Amendment”.  His reasons: the issues were not popular enough, they did not affect him and he saw no reason for a Parental Rights Amendment unless it became more of an issue for more people.  I reminded him that most people have what I call "Back Yard Mentality", if it is not happening to them or someone close to them it is not important and therefore not worth worrying about.  I advised him that it was people like the volunteers of the Parental Rights Organization who are looking out for everyone and trying to prevent these issues from becoming more widespread and arriving to more people's backyards.  I told him that I hoped these problems and issues with the erosion of parental rights would not continue to grow and become more prevalent and that preventive measures needed to be taken now to prevent further erosion of parental rights.  His answer still did not change.  We now know at least where he stands.  On Nov.4, 2011 Congressman Owens introduced legislation that would make the fraudulent sale of maple syrup a felony. Yes you heard me right.  The MAPLE Act creates a felony offense carrying a 5 year maximum penalty.  I guess that is more popular than parents losing their rights to big government or the UN.  Of course it is an election year and there is still hope! 

I have already received the pledge petitions, of Republican Candidates for Congress Matt Doheny, and Kellie Greene for their support and am working to reach others for their support as well.  I have met with Sen. Patty Ritchie to present to her the possibility of her leading a State Resolution to support a Parental Rights Amendment.  These individuals seem to believe this issue is "popular enough" and are willing to make a stand for what is right.  Maybe someone needs to let Congressman Owens know that doing the right thing is not necessarily the popular thing and sometimes you will have to stand alone.  Well, we will be praying for our elected officials in hopes they will someday be able to prioritize according to what is morally right and not what is shall I say "popular"in their eyes.


Peace of Christ-
Meredith George
Congressional District Coordinator for ParentalRights.Org

1 comment:

  1. I'm very disappointed in my representative Congressman Bill Owens. As a parent who has protested to have the right to parent I am very sad and shocked to see he does not support parental rights.

    http://www.examiner.com/article/dnr-lifted-on-jack-frost-s-son-five-days-after-protest-at-pediatrician-s-office-glens-falls

    ReplyDelete